Education Coordinator – Part time
Staten Island, NY | JOB DESCRIPTION
The mission of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (SHCC&BG) is provide a vibrant, regional cultural destination that offers dynamic programming in arts, education, horticulture, agriculture, and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages while ensuring a well-managed campus for all residents of Staten Island and surrounding communities. Snug Harbor was originally built in 1801 as a haven for retired sailors. Today SHCC&BG is a vibrant regional arts center that receives about 450,000 visitors per year. Located less than 2 miles from Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, SHCC&BG’s stunning 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and a botanical garden that includes a traditional Chinese garden; a Tuscan garden, and an outdoor covered stage with seating for 4,000. SHCC&BG’s 680-seat Music Hall is New York City’s second oldest music hall and is a centerpiece for local performing. In addition to SHCC&BG’s own programs, its campus houses several separate major nonprofit institutions.
SHCC&BG seeks an Education Coordinator to provide educational oversight, planning, and direction to the organization’s growing Education Program. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Education Coordinator will be a key member of the organization’s management team, providing outreach, program development, and curriculum support for all areas of the organization, including Visual and Performing Arts, Horticulture, and Agriculture.
The Education Coordinator’s responsibilities will include:
- Outreach to local schools, promoting school trips and tours at Snug Harbor and our Youth Matters program, which brings middle and high school students to Snug Harbor for age-appropriate performing arts presentations
- Marketing of tours to other community organizations, including day camps, senior centers, and early childhood centers
- Scheduling of tours and trips, including scheduling educators and alignment with site-wide calendar
- Oversight of all per diem educators, including ensuring training, proper on-boarding, and scheduling of coverage for trips and tours
- Supervision of interns and volunteers fulfilling school requirements to ensure they are properly placed, that hours are tracked properly, and that experiences are as positive as they can be
- Development of new curricula, and revision of current curricula, to keep content fresh and relevant
- Implementation of Teen Thursdays, a NYCDOE-funded initiative at Snug Harbor to bring students from intermediate schools to campus for arts and culture based experiences.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field required, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience, either in the classroom, in non-profit or museum settings, or in after school programs
- Demonstrated ability in developing engaging, hands-on curricula
- Strong leader, creative and highly personable
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interface well with the public, including a focus on providing good customer service
- Bilingual (Spanish-English) preferred
- Computer literate: strong facility with MS-Office suite
- Excellent organizational skills
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter with salary history and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Your Name] – Education Coordinator.”
We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check back often for Career Opportunities!