This exciting opportunity provides teachers, as well as nature and history enthusiasts, with the ability to express their passion for knowledge in the form of tours and classes at Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden. This position guides groups of 15 or more students, seniors, or tourists through the beautiful 83-acre campus. The tours and classes offered vary based on the interests of the client. Within a two-hour period, the groups may wish to have a Gardens Tour, Garden & Gallery Tour, or Historic Tour; the client may also add a class to further enhance their experience.
- must be energetic and enthusiastic
- Teaching Certification highly recommended, but not a requirement
- College Degree required
- experience working with groups of children and adults
- flexibility with schedule
- ability to walk long distances
- ability to lift and carry up to 15 lbs.
Please contact Beth Scannapieco, Development Associate & Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-425-3511.
OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR/ SPECIAL ASSISTANT to the CEO
The Office Administrator/Special Assistant to the CEO (OA) provides support to the Chief Executive Officer of Snug Harbor in many different capacities. The OA is responsible for internal and external communications from the CEO’s Office to the staff, Board of Directors, and the public. The OA oversees the operations of Snug Harbor’s Executive Office, managing the CEO’s calendar and designated administrative duties with discretion and precision, and coordinates all Board of Directors’ meetings, subcommittee meetings and other VIP meetings/tours. The OA also manages all VIP relations and collaborates regularly with other Snug Harbor departments especially the Development and Marketing Departments for campus-wide events, tours, and other special projects focused on patron engagement. The OA reports directly to the CEO often serving as the CEO’s representative or liaison to the public.
- Provides support to CEO including managing phone and written communications, organizing and maintaining files of official corporate and internal records, coordinating CEO’s calendar, scheduling meetings on CEO’s behalf, updating and maintaining CEO’s contacts, making travel arrangements, and organizing special lunches and other events involving hospitality set-up and coordination
- Greet and assist all patrons to our busy administrative office while maintaining a high level of customer service at all times
- Opens and sorts CEO’s mail, forwards materials to appropriate departments, and provides essential administrative support for CEO and senior staff as required by the CEO
- Follows up on items delegated to staff by CEO to assess progress and ensure deadlines are met
- Updates CEO on status of projects and other relevant issues
- Coordinates and conducts campus tours for VIPs; responds to visitor and public inquiries
- Assists in research and writing related to long-range planning and other projects
- Prepares agenda and minutes for weekly staff meetings
Board of Trustees
- Serves as direct liaison to the Board of Directors and specific Board Committees
- Prepares minutes of Board, Board sub-committee and ad hoc Board meetings
- Prepares packets and coordinates any technical requirements (A/V, call-in numbers) for Board meetings
- Updates and maintains Board contact lists, committee lists, Board manual and other documents pertaining to Board operations
- Schedules Board and subcommittee meeting dates with Board President and CEO’s office and informs all parties of meeting details and agendas
- Answers Board member questions, facilitates communications, and serves an important role in stewarding and engaging the Board of Trustees
- Manages special projects as needed for the CEO’s office including working closely with the Development Department and Marketing Department on administrative tasks and/or logistics associated with special events, press tours, the annual gala and other donor, visitor and/or patron engagement projects as needed
- Collaborates with other staff members on the writing, development, and implementation of event logistic plans and programs
- Coordinates all hospitality and catering set-ups for CEO’s meetings and VIP tours and special events
- Candidate must have a BA in a relevant field with demonstrated administrative experience, which includes organizational, correspondence, and clerical skills and a high level of customer service
- Computer skills are critical. Candidate must have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Outlook and proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Top-notch people skills, with demonstrated experience in effectively communicating with the public, VIP’s and/or experience with Board members
- Must be detail-oriented, proactive, with excellent follow-up and organizational skills
- Experience with or knowledge of the structure of a nonprofit and/or arts organization
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills
- Ability to take direction and then work independently with discretion is essential
- A valid driver’s license is required. Having a personal vehicle is recommended but not essential
The qualified candidate for this position will bring a mix of the energy, adaptability, judgment, coaching, communication and critical thinking skills, as well as a “roll up the sleeves attitude” towards their work. Additional qualifications include:
- Candidate must be personable, a team player, creative, a problem-solver and extremely organized
- Must possess a ‘can-do’ attitude towards their work and show a high level of customer service
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups in a fast paced environment
- Candidate should be enthusiastic about their work and support the mission of Snug Harbor
- A minimum of 2-3 years working in a museum environment, nonprofit or similar organization is helpful
Low 40s; Competitive benefits including ample vacation and eligibility for Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer.