Director of Development
The CEO of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden seeks an energetic, detail-oriented Director of Development who is passionate about the arts and culture, parks, and education.
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (SHCC) is the largest, ongoing adaptive reuse project in America. It contains over 25 historic buildings, including several NYC landmarks, nine botanical gardens and the largest educational farm in the boroughs on a stunning 83-acre campus in Staten Island. Formerly Sailors’ Snug Harbor, it was originally built as a home for retired sailors in the 1800s. Today, SHCC is a regional arts center going through a renaissance of its own as the North Shore of Staten Island transforms itself into a burgeoning art, tourism and waterfront residential district. SHCC offers dynamic programming in visual art, theater, dance, music, farming and botany to diverse and now expanding audiences. Snug Harbor is also home to the Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, the Noble Maritime Collection, Staten Island Children’s Museum, and the Staten Island Museum. Snug Harbor is a proud Smithsonian Affiliate.
This position represents an exceptional opportunity for a highly motivated self-starter to join the management of an organization poised for a new phase of growth and expansion. Snug Harbor has a unique dual mission as site steward and cultural programmer and is supported through contributed and earned income.
The DD is expected to provide leadership with all fundraising initiatives including cultivation and engagement of individuals, foundations, government and private corporations. The DD will broaden the donor base and create a culture of development within the organization as it meets its current needs and plans for programmatic and capital expansion. The successful candidate will have substantial major gifts, corporate sponsorship, grants and special events management expertise, plus the ability to manage and cultivate new volunteers. DD will be highly organized, polished and diplomatic with superb interpersonal skills and be an excellent communicator in verbal, written and presentation forms.
The DD manages a Development Associate, works closely with Artistic Director, Marketing Coordinator, 17 Board Members and others in the organization.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the DD is expected to:
- Develop a comprehensive annual fundraising strategy and have a track record of philanthropic success in a competitive marketplace
- Shift the mix of funding to more private support and/or unrestricted revenue
- Create and maintain an active pipeline of donor and board prospects
- Develop and manage end-of-year annual appeal, annual report and other development reporting or fundraising initiatives
- Supervise the gift acceptance and processing system including gift registration and timely execution of donor correspondence, recognition and acknowledgement
- Continue to develop and manage the membership program with the goal of turning visitors into members and eventually donors
- Working with Senior Staff, research and write grant applications for program, operating and capital support from foundations, corporations and government
- Track all grant applications and reporting deadlines to ensure timely submission of applications, interim and final reports
- Plan and implement fundraising events, including the annual gala, board and member cultivation events, volunteer and member appreciation events
- Working with department heads, DD manages the volunteer and intern program including volunteer solicitation, assignment, cultivation and acknowledgement
- Manage several ad hoc committees of the Board of Directors including the Gala Committee and Development Committee which meet three to four times annually, then present Committee reports at quarterly Board Meetings
- Supervise the coordination of the Education program including outreach, booking of class trips, and teacher assignment
- Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic and visible spokesperson for Snug Harbor
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with a minimum of five years of proven success at fundraising and leadership experience in the nonprofit and/or arts sector
- Experience working in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative environment; ability to meet deadlines and multi-task
- Strong strategic and financial planning skills; proven analytical and communications skills required with a ‘hands on’ approach and determination to get things done
- Driver’s license and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Be resilient with a sense of humor and desire to be a key player in the future of Snug Harbor
- Adept at MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and FundRaiser software
We offer a competitive salary with benefits and a generous vacation/holiday schedule. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter with salary history and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Your Name] – Director of Development.”
We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.