Marketing + Communications Manager (Full-Time)
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (SHCCBG) seeks an energetic, detail-oriented Marketing & Communications Manager who is passionate about parks, New York City and the arts.
Snug Harbor was founded in the early 1800s as a haven for retired sailors. Today, the Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is a vibrant arts center and botanical garden, serving 450,000 visitors per year. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor’s stunning 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and numerous botanical gardens that include a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. In addition to being a regional arts center, the campus houses several other nonprofit institutions and small businesses. Snug Harbor is a must-see destination that provides arts, education, and entertainment for the city.
The Marketing and Communications Manager is passionate about Snug Harbor’s mission to provide dynamic programming in the arts, education, horticulture, agriculture, and recreation to Staten Island. He/she is an energetic, skilled communicator that builds consensus, can work independently and on a team in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate can successfully implement our brand and messaging across all design and communication platforms; raise awareness and attendance at our programs, campus and events; is an excellent copywriter and promoter; and can deliver Snug Harbor’s messages through the media, print collateral and web to our diverse and expanding audience. The Marketing & Communications Manager must be a highly organized individual that can balance multiple projects, exhibit grace under pressure, and maintain a professional and collaborative spirit with colleagues and the public. The Marketing Manager reports directly to the CEO and will work closely with others in the organization.
- Coordinate the overall marketing and communications strategy for institutional and programmatic marketing to ensure audience development, increased memberships, fundraising initiatives, and promotion of our artistic programming.
- Collaborate with senior leadership to ensure branding and messaging consistency across all platforms and departments.
- Serve as executive editor for the organization’s WordPress-based website and social media platforms.
- Develop dynamic content for our social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
- Quarterly tracking, analysis and reporting of marketing initiatives’ results using surveys, website analytics, SEO and social media analytics.
- Using brand style guide, design and produce print collateral including but not limited to: newsletters, brochures, rack cards, postcards, invitations, flyers, event programs, signage, surveys, advertising, etc.
- Work closely with the development department to implement projects including annual appeals, sponsorship packages, and fundraising gala.
- Maintain our email database (Constant Contact) to ensure email lists are relevant and up-to-date.
- Oversee contracts with department specific vendors including printers, photographers, web designers, and copy writers.
- Regularly update program and event listings in local, regional and national print and electronic media (eg. NYC & Company, NYC Department of Cultural Affairs, SI Arts, and SILive, etc.).
- Develop and maintain press relations including story pitches, press releases, interviews, and other coverage.
- Supervise the part-time Marketing Assistant, interns and volunteers.
- Manage special projects from CEO as needed including the annual gala, presentations, and press tours.
- Coordinate tourism initiatives in collaboration with Business & Sales department.
- Working with campus constituents and long-term renters on cross-promotion and tourism projects to market the campus as a destination.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strategic thinker with an energetic, can-do working style
- Proven experience managing a web site; web design skills a plus
- Demonstrated ability to be resourceful, thoughtful and able to work within limited budgets
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year College or university; or at least three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- 2-3 years work experience in marketing, website development, design, or related fields
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evening hours
- MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Adobe Creative Cloud experience or knowledge of comparable design programs
- Ability to work on both Mac and PC platforms
- Basic HTML skills and ability to communicate with designers and web-developers a plus
Salary range is competitive with benefits.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter with salary history and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Your Name] – Marketing Manager”
We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce.