Full Time | Staten Island, NY
The CEO of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden seeks an energetic, detail-oriented Director of Development who is passionate about the arts and culture, parks, and education.
This position represents an exceptional opportunity for a highly motivated self-starter to join the senior management of an organization poised for an exciting new phase of growth and expansion. Snug Harbor has a unique dual mission as site steward and cultural programmer and is supported through contributed and earned income.
The Director of Development (DD) provides hands-on leadership with all fundraising initiatives including cultivation and engagement of individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies. The DD will broaden the donor base and strengthen a culture of development within the organization as it meets its current needs and plans for future programmatic and capital expansion. The successful candidate will have substantial major gifts, corporate sponsorship, grants, database and special events management expertise. The DD will be highly organized, diplomatic, and an excellent communicator in verbal, written, and presentation forms.
The DD manages a team of two including a Development Associate whose support includes grant-writing and administration. The DD works closely with the CEO, Board Members, and with Department Heads in Programming, Operations and Marketing.
Reporting directly to the CEO, responsibilities include:
- Develops and implements annual fundraising plan, reflecting increased private support
- Creates and maintains an active pipeline of donor and board prospects
- Develops strategies for and manages recurring/ongoing advancement initiatives—memberships, volunteers, end-of-year annual appeal, annual report, and other development reporting or fundraising initiatives
- Assures development and maintenance of the database
- Supervises the total gift acceptance process including gift acknowledgement
- Works with Senior Staff to research and write applications to foundations, corporations, and branches of government
- Tracks all grant applications and reporting deadlines to ensure timely submission of applications, interim, and final reports
- Plans and implements fundraising events, including the annual gala, board and member cultivation events, volunteer and member appreciation events
- Manages several ad hoc committees of the Board of Directors including the Gala Committee and Development Committee
- Serves as an enthusiastic advocate for Snug Harbor
- Bachelor’s degree or higher with a minimum of five years of fundraising experience in the nonprofit and/or arts sector; minimum three years in a management or leadership role
- Proven track record of meeting and exceeding fundraising goals
- Experience in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major gifts
- Experience working in a collaborative, fast-paced, creative environment; ability to meet deadlines and multi-task
- Strong strategic and financial planning skills; proven analytical and communications skills required with a determination to get things done
- Willingness to work occasional evenings as needed
- Be resilient with a sense of humor and desire to be a key player in the future of Snug Harbor
- Adept at MS Office (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and FundRaiser software
SALARY AND BENEFITS
We offer a competitive salary with benefits, a generous vacation/holiday schedule and participation in the Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension plan.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “[Your Name] – Director of Development.” We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.