Full Time | Staten Island, NY
SHCCBG seeks applicants for the position of Horticulturist in the Horticulture Department. This is a full-time, year-round position and an integral part of the Operations team. Under the general supervision of the Director of Horticulture, the Horticulturist will be responsible for year-round care and maintenance of Snug Harbor’s landscape and grounds. Working interactively with a team of groundskeepers, the Horticulturist’s responsibilities will include all aspects of monitoring, caring for, and reporting on the gardens, lawns, and plant life of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden.
- Care for diverse plantings and specialty gardens, including: weeding, watering, fertilizing, and water features;
- Manage daily operations of the gardens, ensuring completion of assigned work;
- Implement landscape plans, special exhibits and displays;
- Responsible for greenhouse operations, physical planning and collections;
- Plant labeling of all collections;
- Maintain a log of tools and supplies for department and preparing purchase orders for the Director of Horticulture;
- Maintain a record of plant memorials and order new memorials as required;
- Assist with horticulture education, volunteer, and therapy programs;
- Coordinate and schedule event set-up requests throughout the campus;
- Coordinate the annual spring plant sale;
- Act as an ambassador for SHCC&BG, answering questions for visitors about horticulture, the history of the site, and general information;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two or more years of horticultural experience with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification;
- Degree/Certification in horticulture or related field preferred;
- Knowledge of plant propagation and greenhouse operations;
- Knowledge of pruning;
- Ability to operate equipment and power tools; operate hand mowers, riding mowers, weed whackers and leaf blowers;
- Valid NYS driver’s license and clean driving record;
- Pesticide license required (must be obtained within 6 months of hire);
- Must be able to follow directions and work independently;
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.;
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed;
- Must be computer literate;
- Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and make oneself understood to Spanish speaking individuals;
- Must be a team-player with crew management experience, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining a high standard of landscape management and operations.
For more information on SHCCBG please visit www.snug-harbor.org. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. SHCCBG is an equal opportunity employer.