Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is seeking proposals to commission a public mural art display which brings to life the sense of wonder and imagination of one of our signature gardens, the Connie Gretz Secret Garden. Over a half an acre in size, the Secret Garden is a brick-walled enclosure which boasts three towers and a shrubbery maze, leading to another smaller enclosure at the heart of the garden. The garden was created in memory of Connie Gretz by her husband Randy Gretz, inspired by The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett.
The selected project will encapsulate original, family-friendly imagery that celebrates wonder, imagination, community and nature. Applicants can draw inspiration from gardens, fairytales, Hodgson Burnett’s The Secret Garden, or other aspects of themes listed above.
Applications are due by close of business (5:00 PM) on Wednesday, May 1, 2019. Selected artist will be notified by mid-May, 2019. Installation will begin in late May to be completed by June 13, 2019.
The selected artist will create proposed mural on the interior of brick-walled enclosure within the center of the garden. Full surface area is: 96’ length x 6’ height spread out across four interior walls. Surface is brick walls. Download the location schematic here.
The selected artist will receive $1200.00 to include materials/supplies and honorarium. Artists are asked to produce a project budget based on this amount within their application.
Artists will be reimbursed for supplies and should plan on producing receipts.
This call is free and open to all NYC-based artists with a demonstrated history of producing public art displays. Staten Island residents will be given preference.
- Artistic Merit (40%)
- Project proposal is aesthetically pleasing and encapsulates the family-friendly themes and ideas outlined above
- The artist has a demonstrated history of producing and completing quality mural work within public and community-based art projects
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects on time and within budget
- Site Responsiveness (30%)
- Project proposal thoughtfully considers size, scale, form, and materials are appropriate for designated site
- Project considers the wide range of visitors, largely families, at the site
- Durability (30%)
- Artwork is made out of durable materials able to withstand outdoor weather conditions on a long-term basis
- Artist articulates thoughtful consideration of maintenance within their proposal
A juried panel comprised of Snug Harbor staff and arts professionals will select the awarded project.
The following application materials should be submitted via the application form by the deadline on Wednesday, May 1, 2019 at 5:00 PM.
- 6 photographs that depict existing original artwork. Photos should be clearly labeled with the following format: Last Name-Title-Year Completed.JPEG. (Photo resolution should be a minimum of 120 dpi with minimum dimensions of 800×800 pixels)
- 2-4 project renderings saved as one PDF that illustrate the artwork design of the proposed mural. Renderings can include drawings, sketches, photos, or Photoshop renderings, and should clearly communicate the project idea and aesthetic
- Applicant’s resume or curriculum vitae saved as a PDF
- Proposed budget projecting material/supply costs
For questions regarding your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.