Full Time | Staten Island, NY
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
Due to Executive Order 317 all employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, proof of vaccination is required.
The full-time Development Associate reports to the Vice President of Development & External Affairs (VP). This position supports the VP with general fundraising as a vital member of a five-person External Affairs team, which includes the Director of Business Development, Marketing & Communications Manager, and External Affairs Assistant. Successful fulfillment of the role requires the ability to multitask and to support fundraising efforts, including grants management and grant writing, managing the membership program and events, developing and delivering appeals, and providing administrative support to the VP as needed.
While the VP has overall responsibility for achieving fundraising goals, the Development Associate is integral to the success of the fundraising program. The Development staff produce all operating and capital requests, ensure compliance with all awards, produce fundraising events, and design and implement an active membership and individual giving program. Internally, the Development & External Affairs team work closely with the CEO, Board Members, and departments including Arts, Education & Engagement, Farm, Finance & Administration, Horticulture, Operations and Capital Projects. This position may entail direct engagement with government agencies, elected officials, foundation and corporate representatives, and individual donors and members. Collectively, the External Affairs team is responsible for both earned and contributed income totaling approximately 45% of Snug Harbor’s annual operating budget.
This position reports to the Vice President of Development & External Affairs. Responsibilities include:
- Write grant proposals and reports, prepare budgets and actual financials for foundations, corporations, government agencies
- Assist VP with government contracts as assigned
- Conduct prospect research and evaluate incoming RFPs
- With External Affairs Assistant, manage Development calendar: track proposal and reporting guidelines, maintain files
- With External Affairs Assistant, maintain accurate record of grants pending, received, denied
- With VP, coordinate with program staff on grant compliance
- Support individual Board members with their own cultivation events
- May assist Director of Business Development with annual Neptune Ball as directed
Individual Giving & Membership
- Work with VP to revitalize individual giving and memberships, launch corporate membership program
- Develop donor appeals, work with Marketing & Communications on targeted mailings and integrated marketing plan
- Manage donor/member pipeline and benefit fulfillment in PatronManager
- With External Affairs Assistant, generate acknowledgements and member cards
- Produce and manage monthly donor acquisition events and quarterly member events, other events as assigned
With External Affairs Assistant
- Oversee timely gift processing, acknowledgement, tracking
- Maintain PatronManager database and ensure it is up to date
- With VP, maintain prequalification in government grant portals (Grants Gateway, NYC PassPort, grants.gov, etc.)
- Monthly payment and grant report reconciliations with Finance
- Additional administrative support as assigned by VP
Please note that some evening, weekend and outdoor work will be required.
- A minimum of three years’ experience fundraising in arts and culture, parks, or other relevant organizations, including grant writing
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask with attention to detail
- Experience with fundraising software (Salesforce, PatronManager desired)
- Adept at Microsoft Office suite
- Collaborative spirit and healthy sense of humor
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $42,000 – $46,000 per year. Snug Harbor offers a generous vacation/holiday schedule and participation in the Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension plan.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form and submit a cover letter with writing sample by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Candidates can also submit a writing sample and cover letter by emailing email@example.com with the subject title Development Associate – Writing Sample. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.