Part Time Seasonal | Staten Island, NY
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
Educators provide Snug Harbor programming and maintain reliable, consistent service. Snug Harbor Education works with a broad variety of people, providing programming to school-age students, seniors, tourists, and any group that services curious minds. Educators play a crucial role in engaging visitors more deeply with Snug Harbor, past and present. Educators ensure a positive visitor experience, acting as a friendly and informed first point of contact. Programs happen at Snug Harbor, in senior centers and neighborhood centers, and in school classrooms.
Educators understand that engagement objectives are multifold: delivering student learning objectives; maintaining customer enjoyment, and raising community awareness regarding Snug Harbor’s mission. Programs emphasize inquiry and experiential learning. Educators draw on enthusiasm and curiosity to embrace the richly diverse facets of Snug Harbor’s mission.
Classes and tours are in diverse areas:
● Life sciences, including wetlands, agriculture, and horticulture
● Arts, both visual and performing
● History, including urban history, maritime history, and colonial history
● Social Studies, especially Chinese history and traditional festivals
Educators report to the Visitor Services & Education Manager (VSEM), with training and supervision provided by the VSEM and established Educators. Educators are hired per diem. Shifts are typically 2 hours, with highest demand on weekday mornings from 9am to 1pm for school programs and weekend work for public programs and private tours. Educators have the opportunity for additional work with Visitor Services, as a Visitor Services Associate.
Under supervision of the VSEM, the Educator:
● Leads groups in tours and workshops on Snug Harbor grounds and off-site in a timely, effective and safe manner.
● Delivers content in an engaging and informative manner, with a focus on the learner
● Sets up before program and cleans up after each program, maintaining continuous communication about supply inventory
● Coordinates with other Educators to service multiple groups simultaneously, including preparation and clean-up
● Coordinates with relevant Snug Harbor staff for site access
● Communicates with teachers appropriately and conforms to NYCDOE protocol
● Meets the needs of diverse learners, including different age groups, different amounts of background knowledge and physical requirements
● Communicates reliably, including responding to work email daily
● Participates in training, including regular debriefing sessions
● Maintains consistent awareness of current Snug events, including information about seasonal fauna/flora, constituent events, and security concerns
● Represents Snug Harbor at community outreach events
● Teaching experience in classroom, after-school, camp, non-profit, or museum settings.
● Proven content expertise in at last one area of programming, including education
● Experience working with vulnerable groups with special needs is preferred
● Detail-oriented, proactive, with excellent follow-up skills and customer service mindset, both inside and outside the organization
● Ability to take direction, work quickly, independently and with discretion
● Strong facility with Google Drive and Google Analytics
● Preferred candidates must be able to travel to various schools in NYC service area
● An outgoing personality with the ability to communicate well in public settings
● Ability to critically look at your work reflectively and desire to continually improve
● Willingness to have your work viewed and discussed by colleagues, and the ability to participate kindly and thoughtfully in analysis of colleagues’ work
● Capable of traversing 3 miles over various terrains and carrying supplies that could weigh up to 20 pounds.
● Active learner, energetic, enthusiastic, and creative
● Communicative in a timely fashion through email, text, and in person
● Excellent verbal communication and people skills, with a focus on providing excellent customer service and strong presentation skills
● Excellent time management and problem-solving skills
● Second-language proficiency preferred, especially Chinese or Spanish
● Personable, a team player, and extremely organized
● Strong leader with excellent communication skills, including a customer service focus
● Self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
● Maintains an interest in best pedagogic practice and maintaining literacy in social-emotional learning principles, culturally responsive curricula, and appropriate developmental milestones
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Educator – [Your Name].”
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.