Part Time | Staten Island, NY
Snug Harbor Cultural Center and Botanical Garden seeks Educators to provide programming.
Snug Harbor Education works with a broad variety of clients, providing programming to students, seniors, tourists, and any group that services curious minds. Educators report to the Education Manager, with training and supervision provided by the Education Manager and Lead Educator. Shifts are typically 2 hours, with highest demand on weekday mornings from 9 am to 1 pm.
Snug Harbor Education follows several modes of service:
- 120-minute on-site adult tours
- 90-minute on-site classes for students
- 45-minute off-site classes for students in their classroom
Classes and tours are in diverse areas:
- Life sciences, including wetlands, agriculture, and horticulture
- Arts, both visual and performing
- History, including urban history, maritime history, and colonial history
- Social Studies, especially Chinese history and annual festivals.
Please visit snug-harbor.org/education to learn more about the specific tours and workshops.
Under the supervision of the Education Manager and Lead Educator:
- Educator leads adult groups on tours on Snug Harbor grounds
- Educator leads students through tours and workshops
- Educator manages materials and instruction areas for groups, maintaining open
communication about inventory
- Educator works with other Educators to service multiple groups at once
- Teaching experience in the classroom, after-school, non-profit, or museum settings
- Proven content expertise in at least one area of programming, including education
- Experience working with groups with special needs is preferred, including the elderly and
- Detail-oriented, proactive, with excellent follow-up skills and demonstrate excellent
customer service both inside and outside the organization
- Strong facility with Google Drive and Google Analytics
- Preferred candidate must be able to travel to various schools in the metropolitan NYC
SHCCBG service area
The qualified candidate for this position will bring a mix of energy, adaptability, judgment, communication and critical thinking skills and “roll up the sleeves attitude” towards their work.
Additional qualifications include:
- Active learner, energetic, enthusiastic, and creative
- Communicative through email, text, and in person
- Excellent verbal communication and people skills, with a focus on providing excellent customer service and strong presentation skills
- Personable, a team player, and extremely organized
- Able-bodied, capable of walking long distances, lifting and carrying 15 pounds
- Self-motivated with the ability to work both alone and in groups
- Preferred candidates is able to speak Chinese or Spanish in addition to English
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “[Your Name] – Educator.” We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest, however ONLY those selected for an interview will be contacted.