Explore Earth Day activity stations at Snug Harbor as we learn about all the ways you can reduce, reuse, and recycle your waste.
WHEN: April 22 | 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM
WHERE: Compost Demo Site at Snug Harbor (view site map and directions here)
ADMISSION: FREE | Registration requested here
- Learn about composting with the NYC Compost Project
- Use compost to top dress a garden bed or create a tree ring
- Plant a seed to grow at home
- Run in a greens and browns relay race
- Participate in a scavenger hunt where you’ll need to use your best nature investigator skills
- Play lawn games and pollinator matching card games
Plus, adults can join a workshop with Ashley Oppon to learn about your final gift you can give to the earth with a green burial.
The NYC Compost Project, created by the NYC Department of Sanitation (DSNY) in 1993, works to reduce waste in NYC and rebuild NYC’s soil by providing New Yorkers with the knowledge, skills, and opportunities they need to produce and use compost locally. NYC Compost Project programs and staff are funded and managed through the DSNY Bureau of Recycling and Sustainability (BRS) in partnership with host institutions.