Full-Time or Part-Time Seasonal, Staten Island, New York
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Snug Harbor Heritage Farm (SHHF) is looking for Full-Time and Part-Time Seasonal Farm Team Members to join us from March to November. Supervised by the Farm Manager, Team Members will help grow and maintain our 2.5-acre production farm with fellow farmers, volunteers, and local work force development (WFD) programs. In season, this position focuses on our day-to-day operations of CSA packing and distribution, weekly farm stands, and wholesale deliveries. Collaborating directly with the Farm Manager, this position will be front facing and interacting with our customers daily. This is a sales position and requires someone who is enthusiastic about local produce/cooking and is able to engage with customers meaningfully. A positive customer service approach is required. This job requires attention to detail while juggling multiple tasks and excellent record keeping skills.This is a highly physical role. Team Members will be standing, bending, crouching, pulling, pushing, and using basic hand tools in all weather conditions (including rain and extreme heat) all while maintaining a fast and efficient pace. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. Anyone who is enthusiastic to learn, has a strong work ethic and interested in working on a small team in sustainable small scale agriculture should apply.
- Collaborate with the Farm Manager to set up and break down CSA distribution and farm stands
- Accept cash, credit card, and SNAP payments and maintain accurate records
- Maintain a sales oriented mindset while creating an attractive and engaging market experience
- Communicate the vision and goals of SHHF professionally with the general public and act as a front facing member of the Heritage Farm team with enthusiasm and a positive attitude
- Deliver wholesale orders and produce donations to local partner’s weekly
- Support the creation of a weekly Farm newsletter with oversight from the Farm Manager and input from Education Department and the Marketing and Communications Manager
- Transplant, thin, propagate, direct seed, cultivate, trellis, prune, weed, harvest, and wash produce for our CSA and markets with supervision and support from the Farm Manager
- Perform various farm labor tasks with a constant improvement mindset
- Support processing and usage of compost as it pertains to building healthy soils community wide
- Support Snug Harbor Staff in grounds maintenance and other farm related duties as directed
- During orientation, attend a presentation of Snug Harbor’s current DEIA plan
- Experience working at a farmer’s market or in retail highly preferred
- Ability to communicate the values and ideas of SHHF to a diverse customer base
- A salesperson attitude with a constant improvement mindset for systems and displays
- Proven record keeping and money handling skills and strong attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple tasks at once and regularly meet tight deadlines
- A valid driver’s license is required for insurance purposes and to utilize company vehicles
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly and execute them immediately including the use of power and hand tools
- Ability to following all safety procedures including COVID-19 protocols
- Exemplary communication skills and work place professionalism including appropriate work attire, positive attitude, timeliness, and adaptability
- Committed to being an active and flexible member of a small team
- Ability to lift 40lbs regularly and be able to stand, squat, kneel, bend, and crouch for extended periods of time in all weather conditions
Full time positions will work 35 hours a week with a 1-hour unpaid lunch. Typically, the hours are 8:30am-4:30pm, but are dependent on weather and business operational needs. Market positions are required to work adjusted schedules on CSA distribution day (Thursday) and Saturdays from May-November for our weekly market. Full time positions will be given 2 days off in a row. Part time positions will depend on business operational need but will be required to work a minimum equivalent of 2 full days per week. Weekend and holiday work will be required for this position.
Qualified candidates should submit a resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Farm Team-Market – [Your Name].” Please also attach brief answers (3-5 sentences) to the prompts below. Please indicate if you are applying for more than one of the Farm Team positions. Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often only apply to jobs if they meet 100% of the qualifications. As no one ever meets 100% of the qualifications, we encourage you to apply if you feel that much of the following matches your experience.
- What are you looking to gain from your work experience at the Heritage Farm?
- For a team to function effectively, every member must be committed to the team and its goals. Tell us about how you’ve demonstrated your commitment to a team.
- Please tell us your favorite fruit or vegetable to grow and/or cook and why.
Selected candidates will be asked to work on the farm for a half day as a part of the hiring process. Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.