Full-Time Seasonal, Staten Island, New York
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Snug Harbor Heritage Farm (SHHF) is looking for a Full-Time Seasonal Farm Team Member to join a small team. Supervised by the Farm Manager, Team Members will help grow and maintain our 2.5-acre production farm with fellow farmers and volunteers. This position focuses on post-harvest aspects of farming. The employee will spearhead washing, packing, and organizing harvested crops in our wash pack area and walk in fridge. This job requires attention to detail, time management and excellent record keeping skills. This is a highly physical role. Team Members will be standing, bending, crouching, pulling, pushing, and using basic hand tools in all weather conditions (including rain and extreme heat), while maintaining a fast and efficient pace. Due to the nature of farming, Team Members may be required to work longer hours and varying schedules to reflect business needs, which may include overtime, weekends, and holidays. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, so long as they do not cause undue hardship. Anyone who has a strong work ethic and deep interest in sustainable small scale agriculture should apply. Weekend work may be required.
- With support from Farm Manager, oversee all post-harvest activities, including but not limited to, washing, bunching, bagging, packing, quality control, food safety, inventory management, and record keeping
- Along with the Farm Manager, support, teach, and oversee volunteers and staff in post-harvest activities
- Maintain detailed records of all post-harvest activities
- Maintain organized and safe post-harvest facilities, tools, and equipment
- Transplant, thin, propagate, direct seed, cultivate, prune, weed, harvest, and wash produce for our CSA and markets with supervision and support from the Farm Manager
- Perform general landscaping projects such as weed whacking, mowing, and mulching
- Set up and break down CSA market and other market days
- Communicate the vision and goals of SHHF professionally with the general public
- Drive company vehicle offsite to make purchases and deliveries to partners
- Ability to perform various farm labor in an efficient and effective manner
- Support processing, hauling, and all operational components of the NYC Compost Project hosted by SHCC
- Support Snug Harbor Staff in grounds maintenance
- Perform other farm related duties as directed by Farm Manager
- Experience working outdoors in a physically demanding role
- Proven record keeping skills and attention to detail
- Ability to learn new tasks quickly and execute them immediately including the use of power tools and small machinery
- All applicants must possess a valid driver license and a clean driving record
- Interest in learning about small scale intensive agriculture and the techniques used in organic farming
- Ability to following all safety (including COVID-19) protocols
- Exemplary communication skills and work place professionalism including appropriate work attire, positive attitude, timeliness, and adaptability
- Committed to being an active and flexible member of a small team
- Ability to lift 50lbs regularly and be able to stand, squat, kneel, bend, and crouch for extended periods of time in all weather conditions
Qualified candidates should submit a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Farm Team-Wash Pack – [Your Name].” Please also attach brief answers the following prompts. Please indicate if you are applying for more than one of the Farm Team positions.
- Why do you want to work in agriculture?
- What are you looking to gain from your work experience at Snug Harbor?
- Please tell us your favorite fruit or vegetable to grow and why.
Selected candidates will be asked to work on the farm for a half day as a part of the hiring process.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.