Full Time | Staten Island, NY
The Gardener is an essential member of the Horticulture Department. The primary responsibility is to care for the gardens, collections and plant life of Staten Island’s only botanical garden. This position reports to the Director of Horticulture. This position is not exempt to FLSA. Snug Harbor reserves the right to change job duties at any time. This job description is not designed to cover every job requirement.
- Propagate tender perennials by cuttings
- Propagate annuals and perennial by seed
- Water gardens and lawns around gardens
- Staking plants
- Pruning small trees and shrubs
- Planting annual displays
- Maintaining existing gardens
- Skim water features in assigned gardens
- Fertilize gardens and containers
- Support with site-wide Snow Removal
- Maintain hedges
- Operate hand mowers, riding mowers, weed whackers and leaf blowers
- Daily trash removal site-wide
- Assist in table and chair set-ups throughout the site
- Drive offsite to purchase equipment and supplies as directed
- Other duties as assigned
- One-year experience in gardening preferred
- Valid NYS driver’s license required
- Must be able to follow directions and work independently
- Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds
- Must be organized and manage time well
- Able to work outdoors in all weather
- Spanish and English facility strongly preferred
$15.00 / hour; Competitive benefits including a generous vacation/holiday schedule and participation in the Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension. This position may be required to assist with tasks and duties as assigned depending on Snug Harbor’s business and operational needs outside of the 37.5-hour work week for authorized overtime.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Gardener – [Your Name].” Complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.