Full Time | Staten Island, NY
SHCC&BG seeks applicants for the position of Horticulturist in the Horticulture Department. This is a full-time, year-round position and an integral part of the Operations team. Under the general supervision of the Director of Horticulture, the Horticulturist will be responsible for year-round care and maintenance of Snug Harbor’s landscape and grounds. Working interactively with a team of groundskeepers, the Horticulturist’s responsibilities will include all aspects of monitoring, caring for, and reporting on the gardens, lawns, and plant life of Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden.
- Care for diverse plantings and specialty gardens, including: weeding, watering, fertilizing, and water features.
- Manage daily operations of the gardens, ensuring completion of assigned work.
- Implement landscape plans, special exhibits and displays.
- Responsible for greenhouse operations, physical planning and collections.
- Plant labeling of all collections.
- Maintain a log of tools and supplies for department and preparing purchase orders for the Director of Horticulture.
- Maintain a record of plant memorials and order new memorials as required.
- Assists with horticulture education, volunteer, and therapy programs.
- Coordinate and schedule event set-up requests throughout the campus.
- Coordination of seasonal plant sales.
- Act as an ambassador for SHCC&BG, answering questions for visitors about horticulture, the history of the site, and general information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Two or more years of horticultural experience with in-depth knowledge of plant culture, maintenance, and identification.
- Degree/Certification in horticulture or related field preferred.
- Knowledge of plant propagation and greenhouse operations.
- Knowledge of pruning.
- Ability to operate equipment and power tools; operate hand mowers, riding mowers, weed whackers and leaf blowers.
- Valid NYS driver’s license and clean driving record.
- Pesticide license required (must be obtained within 6 months of hire)
- Must be able to follow directions and work independently
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Ability to work overtime, weekends, and holidays as needed
- Must be computer literate.
- Bilingual preferred; at a minimum, the ability to understand and make oneself understood to Spanish speaking individuals.
- Must be a team-player with crew management experience, willing to collaborate on any and all tasks required for maintaining a high standard of landscape management and operations.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. For more information on SHCC please visit, www.snug-harbor.org