Part time as needed on weekends and occasional weekdays for events in the Music Hall | Staten Island, NY
Built in 1892, the Music Hall is a 686-seat theater and is the second oldest music hall in New York City after Carnegie Hall. Its grand architecture serves as the perfect setting for concerts, theater, lectures, and other events. Designed for musical performances, the acoustics are excellent.
Prepare the Space
The house manager assumes control of “the front of the house” — this means the space beginning at the outside entrance to the theater and extending to the foot of the stage. If there are programs to be handed out prior to the performance, the house manager makes sure that the right amount are available. The house manager does a “walk through” of the theater to verify that the house and restrooms are clean and presentable for the audience. If there are signs or notices relevant to a particular show, such as “no flash photography” or “no use of cell phones” the house manager makes sure those signs are in place.
Manage the Ushers
Ushers take tickets and lead patrons to their seats. The house manager schedules, trains, and supervises these ushers. This means making sure that ushers have a sense of the seating scheme, so that they can lead patrons to their seats in the quickest possible way. Some ushers may be assigned to hand out programs. Ushers must also be made familiar with the late-comers policy. The house manager makes sure that ushers have whatever supplies are needed to their job, such as flashlights.
A fireguard is used to ensure continuous and systematic surveillance of a building or portion thereof for the purposes of identifying and controlling fire hazards, detecting early signs of fire, raising an alarm for fire, and notifying the department.
Fire guards must hold a valid FDNY Certificate of Fitness and have a general knowledge of portable fire extinguishers. A letter from Snug Harbor is required to take this test for FDNY Certificate of Fitness. If the fire extinguishers and/or fire alarm pull station is available in their areas of responsibility, you must know their locations.
• Maintain constant surveillance of assigned areas.
• Responsible for the care and control of radios, keys and other equipment assigned.
• Promote good public relations through courteous, helpful, and professional contact with tenants and guests to client property.
• Provide appropriate assistance as needed to clients, their employees, guests, and visitors in an expedient and professional manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• The qualified candidate for this position will be enthusiastic and possess great people skills. He/she will be reliable, able to take direction and training from management, and provide excellent customer service to our visitors.
• Previous experience is not required. Working knowledge of Chinese and/or Spanish is a plus but not required.
• Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send their cover letter and resume to email@example.com. No phone calls please.