Part Time and Seasonal | Staten Island, NY
Are you interested in working in a beautiful, vibrant cultural center? Snug Harbor is the cultural hub of Staten Island. You will finish your Snug Harbor internship with invaluable skills and work experience. Snug Harbor is a fun, compassionate workplace with many ways to get involved.
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Marketing & Communications Intern supports a department that works closely with all other departments to promote Snug Harbor events, special activities, and the site overall to prospective and repeat visitors.
This position reports to the Marketing & Communications Manager, and is part of the Marketing & Communications Department. The position is part time and seasonal, ten hours a week from January – May 2020. Hours of service can fall between 9 AM and 5 PM, Monday – Friday.
- Inputting events into website calendar
- Creating Facebook events
- Inputting events into PatronManager (ticketing system)
- Listing events in external community calendars
- Assisting with mailings/labeling
- Setting up bi-weekly e-newsletter
- Making/printing purchase orders
- One-off/small projects (making simple flyers or signs)
- Web page updates
- Research projects
- Other assignments as per intern interest, experience, and skillset
Qualifications: The qualified candidate will be dependable, punctual, adaptable, positive, and curious. University 3rd and 4th year students (juniors and seniors) and recent university graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Excellent English language skills, verbal and written
- Excellent persuasive copywriting
- Attention to detail
- Responsible, conscientious self-starter
- Great storyteller
- Familiarity with Snug Harbor and programs; interest in the arts, nature/gardens, agriculture/composting
- Familiarity with WordPress
- Familiarity with Emma Email Marketing (or Constant Contact or MailChimp)
- Basic design skills; familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite (in particular InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator) is a plus
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual (Spanish, Chinese are a plus)
- Familiarity with database systems (Salesforce/PatronManager is a plus)
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Marketing & Communications Intern – [Your Name].” Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.