***The New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden will be limiting the number of patrons admitted in the garden during the pandemic. When the maximum number of visitors is reached at any point, those next in line will be temporarily waitlisted until there is capacity. This applies to all who wish to enter the garden, and will be based on a first come, first served basis, including those making day-of photo permit purchases. Thank you for your understanding and support.***
General Guidelines & Code of Conduct for Special Occasion Photography
At Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden, special occasion photography is categorized as any wedding, engagement, anniversary, Sweet 16, or child portrait sessions (with or without props). All special occasion permits are subject to approval. Please carefully review our rules and etiquette guidelines for restrictions. SHCCBG does not require insurance for special occasion photography.
- Approved permits grant access to specified areas for TWO HOURS only. Shoots may take place seven days a week, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Please note the seasonal hours of operation for the NYCSG and any special event closures listed here.
- Some garden areas may not be available based upon seasonality or previously scheduled events. For NYCSG closures, please check here.
- Rain dates will be issued based on availability.
- Snug Harbor is a public space. Photo permits do not grant exclusive access to any areas.
Commercial photo or film projects require a location contract which may be obtained by contacting Jenny Kelly at JKelly@snug-harbor.org or 718.425.3516. Commercial photo or film projects are categorized as those which advertise or promote a business, paid service, or monetary venture, regardless of whether those photos will be featured on social media, print, television/film, or other medium.
Please submit the form below and allow at least 24 business hours for processing. If you are applying for a last minute permit during off-business hours, you may apply in person at the entrance to our New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden (Cottage E) on Saturdays and Sundays ONLY. Permits subject to same fees and rules. Subject to availability.
Photo Permit Fees and Regulations
- $150.00: 2 hours in gardens and grounds, excluding the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden
- $350.00: 2 hours in all gardens and grounds, including the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden (not available for Monday reservations).
- Snug Harbor closes at dusk. Photos must be completed by 5:00 pm in the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden.
- Photo permits have a 2 hour limit.
- Permits are subject to availability and cannot be processed until payment is received.
General Grounds Rules and Regulations (including but not limited to the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden):
- No smoking or alcohol.
- No decorations of any kind, including tables, chairs, tents, or canopies.
- No use of glitter or confetti.
- No use of drones.
- Do not float anything on the water in ANY ponds.
- Do not move potted plants or Snug Harbor horticultural supplies.
- Do not add artificial or real flowers to pots of existing plants.
- Do not step into or run cords through planting beds.
Specific to the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden:
- Do not open or force any doors that are closed.
- Do not move furniture.
For any questions or if a permit is misplaced, please contact Jenny Kelly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-425-3516.