General Guidelines & Code of Conduct for Special Occasion Photography
At Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden, special occasion photography is categorized as any wedding, engagement, anniversary, Sweet 16, child portrait sessions (with or without props), blog, or staged/group photoshoots. All special occasion permits are subject to approval. Please carefully review our rules and etiquette guidelines for restrictions. SHCCBG does not require insurance for special occasion photography.
- Approved permits grant access to specified areas for TWO HOURS only. Shoots may take place seven days a week, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 8:00 PM. Please note the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden is closed on Mondays and after 5:00 PM Tuesday – Sunday, and has limited hours during the winter.
- Some garden areas may not be available based upon seasonality or previously scheduled events. For NYCSG closures, please check here.
- Rain dates will be issued based on availability.
- Snug Harbor is a public space. Photo permits do not grant exclusive access to any areas.
Commercial photo or film projects require a location contract which may be obtained by contacting Jenny Kelly at JKelly@snug-harbor.org or 718.425.3516.
Please submit the form below and allow at least 24 business hours for processing. If you are applying for a last minute permit during off-business hours, you may apply in person at the entrance to our New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden (Cottage E) on Saturdays and Sundays ONLY. Permits subject to same fees and rules. Subject to availability.
Photo Permit Fees and Regulations
- $150.00: 2 hours in gardens and grounds, excluding the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden
- $350.00: 2 hours in all gardens and grounds, including the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden (not available for Monday reservations).
- Snug Harbor closes at dusk. Photos must be completed by 5:00 pm in the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden.
- Photo permits have a 2 hour limit.
- Permits are subject to availability and cannot be processed until payment is received.
General Grounds Rules and Regulations (including but not limited to the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden):
- No smoking or alcohol.
- No decorations of any kind, including tables, chairs, tents, or canopies.
- No use of glitter or confetti.
- No use of drones.
- Do not float anything on the water in ANY ponds.
- Do not move potted plants or Snug Harbor horticultural supplies.
- Do not add artificial or real flowers to pots of existing plants.
- Do not step into or run cords through planting beds.
Specific to the NY Chinese Scholar’s Garden:
- Do not open or force any doors that are closed.
- Do not move furniture.
For any questions or if a permit is misplaced, please contact Tiffany Feo at firstname.lastname@example.org or 718-425-3504.