Part Time Seasonal, Staten Island, New York
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
SHCC seeks a part-time seasonal Housekeeper with experience in commercial cleaning and provides support to the Supervisor of Housekeeping. This person must have the ability to interact with supervisors and co-workers as well as constituent organizations and tenants on site. This position is a seasonal position, approximately 24 hours per week, that requires weekend work, May through October.
Perform all necessary cleaning as listed but not limited to:
- Floors – wash as needed
- Carpets – Vacuum all carpeted areas in buildings daily
- Garbage Removal – Remove garbage from inside buildings as well as exterior garbage receptacles
- Windows – Clean and dust windows and window sills as necessary
- Bathrooms – Clean and restock bathrooms as needed
- Move and lift objects up to 35-50lbs.
- Assist in snow removal and ground maintenance including plowing, shoveling, and salting.
- Assist in inventory control of equipment and supplies.
- Assist in daily departmental and site wide operation as needed and assigned by the Supervisor of Housekeeping.
The qualified candidate for this position must have a working knowledge of cleaning supplies and equipment such as vacuums and floor polishers.
- Demonstrate an ability to work well with others and follow directions
- Some experience in general cleaning of a public facility
- Personable, a team player, and organized
- Must be available to work evenings, weekends, holidays and at scheduled special events.
- Second-language proficiency a plus, especially Chinese or Spanish in addition to English
$15.00 per hour, approximately 24 hours per week. This position is a seasonal position that requires weekend work, May through October.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all.
Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.