Full Time | Staten Island, NY
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
SHCC seeks applicants for the position of Security and Safety Manager in the Facilities & Operations Department. Reporting to the Director of Operations and Capital Projects, the primary role will be a boots-on-the-ground point person for security staff and for the safety and operational needs of Snug Harbor’s campus. The Security and Safety Manager will ensure that all daily security operations run smoothly and effectively and implement new processes to optimize campus logistics. The Security and Safety Manager will also oversee the management of the campus-wide fire safety system, managing routine inspections and repairs from outside contractors and interfacing with the FDNY. In addition to managerial duties, the Security and Safety Manager will also carry out standard patrol and other security duties two shifts per week. This position is full time and will require weekend work.
- Lead Campus-wide security controls
- Oversee and monitor Security Camera Systems and system vendors
- Provide interior and exterior patrols, both by foot and utilizing company vehicles.
- Provide continuous visual/physical inspections of the campus. Maintain vigilance regarding suspicious conditions and persons, open doors and windows, and other safety issues.
- Serve as point-person for logistical expertise to management, providing recommendations for optimized site circulation, crowd control, traffic patterns, or other insights during times of campus disruption.
- Identify situations and locations that would constitute safety hazards to personnel and assets (lighting, pedestrian walkways, mechanical failures affecting asset integrity, etc.). Make proper notifications to other Snug Harbor departments to initiate solutions and repairs. Implement temporary safety precautions until the situation has been corrected.
- Direct and coordinate vehicular traffic circulation and parking.
- Interact professionally and courteously with Rangers, SHCC staff, tenants, and visitors.
- Provide access to buildings as required.
- Maintain and activate alarm systems (fire and intrusion) as necessary. Maintain vigilance regarding fire prevention, detection and suppression.
- Respond to calls for service and notify the proper authorities (police, fire and/or emergency medical service).
- Provide necessary assistance to ADA and disabled visitors and employees.
- Assist in emergency site-wide operations duties as directed.
- Manage and Train Safety & Security Personnel
- Create, supervise, and coordinate daily and weekly time schedules for appropriate coverage for a 24/7 operation that encompasses public hours, overnight and additional coverage for special events and programs.
- Train and ensure compliance by all rangers on daily job duties, campus systems and software
- Review and revise Ranger job description and duties to meet evolving organization wide needs.
- Organize regular staff training, policy review and refresher coaching on job tasks as needed
- Orient and train new Rangers on security risks and procedures, certifying they are versed on emergency/disaster preparedness.
- Exchange concise, effective information with fellow Rangers before and after each shift
- Regularly coordinate with other management team members to ensure onsite needs are organized to Snug Harbor standards.
- Serve as an active member of Snug Harbor’s Operations Management team, providing weekend “Manager on Duty” responsibilities for campus operational needs as directed.
- Liaise and proactively communicate and coordinate as needed with campus constituents, visitor access points and rental clients, and remote leadership to ensure a quality experience for all Snug Harbor Visitors.
- Support other department onsite staff as requested.
- Assist and problem solve as needed on issues with parking, wayfinding, visitor safety, and campus emergency needs.
- Create and distribute to Rangers a weekly overview of site activity to guide Rangers in providing dynamic support to site activity, including traffic management, area access, and direct visitors to potential experiences.
- Circulate a weekend report to Snug Harbor Senior Management team documenting weekend events, activities, and documenting any incidents.
- Liaise with leadership on incidents requiring emergency response.
- Direct and Develop Campus Safety & Security Procedures and Systems
- Lead security team staff through the development, training, documentation, and implementation of safety policies, standards, and procedures that will create a safe, efficient, and welcoming environment for the campus.
- Oversee and Modernize Report Systems: ranger patrol checklist, SilverTrack reporting, Emergency Alert Software, incident/accident reports, work requests, and lost & found reports.
- Working with the Director of Operations, develop and implement Emergency Preparedness Plans and campus safety committee procedures and training plan. Control and coordinate evacuation procedures (emergency situations) and act as evacuation leader when necessary.
- High school diploma/GED, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Work experience: 5+ years’ experience in Security and Managerial roles
- Must maintain or obtain within 30 days of hire the following FDNY Certificates of Fitness:
S95 – Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and Other Related Systems
F03 – Indoor Place of Assembly
- Must maintain or obtain within 30 days of hire: New York State Security Guard License
- Valid NYS Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Computer Literate (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent communication skills
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $50,000 – $60,000 per year. Snug Harbor offers a generous vacation/holiday schedule and participation in the Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension plan.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.