Part Time and Seasonal | Staten Island, New York
The Visitor Services Associate (VSA) is an ambassador of the mission, vision and values of Snug Harbor. The VSA is engaged in various capacities depending on the seasonal and programming needs of the organization. In all capacities the VSA offers a welcoming presence and provides excellent customer service to visitors of Snug Harbor. The VSA interacts with the public via informing visitors of amenities and programs, gauging interests, and supporting a safe and enjoyable experience. The VSA acts as eyes and ears for site conditions and visitor satisfaction. The VSA supports on programs and special events and is always looking to improve the visitor experience.
Programming and assets that VSAs support include:
- Visitor Information Booth
- NY Chinese Scholars Garden
- Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art
- Connie Gretz Secret Garden
- Site-wide festivals, public programs and special events
This position reports to the Visitor Services & Education Coordinator, and is part of the Education Dept. The position is part time and seasonal.
- Provides enterprising and responsive customer service at all times
- Conducts opening and closing procedures as required for the booth, garden, gallery or other programming area/special event
- Promotes and sells tickets to for admissions, tours and programs
- Performs cash handling and daily reconciliation
- Responsible for inventory of collateral material and merchandise
- Actively listens to visitors to monitor areas of interest, levels of satisfaction, and concerns, communicating relevant priority items to the Visitor Services Coordinator, Rangers, or programming staff
- Responds to inquiries related to directions, programs and mission of SHCCBG and various campus partners.
- Maintains consistent awareness of current Snug Harbor events, including information about seasonal fauna/flora, constituent events, and security concerns
- Administers visitor satisfaction surveys, facilitates demographic self-reporting. Produces reports for supervisor.
- Maintains signage throughout interior and exterior locations as required by programming needs
- Represents the organization at community outreach events, as needed
- General administrative support as needed
- Set-up and break-down for special events as needed
- Strong facility with Google Drive and Google Analytics
The qualified candidate will be dependable, punctual, adaptable, positive and curious. Additional qualifications include:
- A high school diploma/some college (or equivalent training)
- Customer Service experience (minimum one year)
- Willingness to work outdoors (rain or shine)
- A positive attitude. Sense of humor is a bonus
- Ability to communicate clearly and in a timely fashion through email, text, phone and in-person. Must be able to interact appropriately with all levels of management, staff and the public.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English (being bilingual is a plus)
- Ability to work well in a small space
- Ability to sit or stand for a long period of time
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to work weekends and occasional evenings
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “VSA – [Your Name].” We are an equal opportunity workplace and welcome cultural diversity in our workforce. We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.