Part Time and Seasonal | Staten Island, NY
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Visitor Services Associate (VSA) provides customer service to visitors of Snug Harbor, ensuring a positive experience by acting as a friendly and informed first point of contact. VSAs are stationed at critical locations throughout campus to welcome visitors, to provide information, access and support, and to direct people toward relevant programs. The Visitor Services team is a core group of individuals that help to address variable onsite tasks which generally listed in the responsibilities, these daily tasks may change per shift due to operational need. The VSA offers comprehensive information about the site and its programming to all visitors, looking for opportunities to provide a deeper visitor experience. This position reports to the Senior Manager, Education & Visitor Services (SMEVS), with training and supervision provided by the SMEVS and established Visitor Services Associates.
- Communicate the vision and goals of Snug Harbor in a professional manner
- Provides inclusive, engaging, enterprising and responsive customer service at all times
- Maintains consistent awareness of current Snug events, including information about seasonal fauna/flora, constituent events, and security concerns
- Maintains a reflective awareness of the needs of diverse learners, including different age groups, different amounts of background knowledge and experience, different ethnicities and cultures, different learning styles, and different educational and physical requirements
- Actively listens to visitors to monitor areas of interest, levels of satisfaction, and concerns, communicating relevant priority items to the SMEVS, Rangers, or programming staff
- Responsible for inventory of all relevant collateral
- Promotes events & attractions
- Maintain signage throughout the interior and exterior of the building and, where appropriate, external locations
- Administers visitor satisfaction surveys, facilitates demographic self-reporting
- Offers administrative support to educators, volunteers, and programming staff as needed.
- Represents Snug Harbor CCBG and Snug Harbor Education at community outreach events.
- Event equipment set-ups and removals, indoors and outdoors throughout the site, including tables, chairs, fencing, tents
- Support volunteer training for Farm Volunteers in tandem with the Farm Team and in collaboration with the Engagement Department
- Support public programing and educational classes
Admissions & Ticketing Support
- Opens and closes admissions stations, including Visitor Services Booth, Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art, Secret Garden, and New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden, as well as concessions stations and special events
- Sells admissions tickets and maintains accurate records
- Reconciles daily sales and ticket counts
- Communicates reliably with Visitor Services Department staff, including checking work email daily and responding promptly.
- Participates in training and professional development, including regular debriefing sessions.
- Assist in inventory control of equipment and supplies throughout multiple storage areas
Patron Services and Grounds Support
- Traversing throughout campus areas to identify opportunities to support the patron experience and improve the grounds
- Trash removal and beautification site-wide
- Assist in table and chair set-ups throughout the site
- Ability to support with weeding, push mower, weed whacker
- Assist in snow removal and ground maintenance, including plowing, shoveling, and salting
- Water plant material throughout the site as directed
- Skim water features in assigned gardens
- Engage volunteers and workforce development members in meaningful, professional, and relevant work
- Transplant, thin, propagate, direct seed, cultivate, prune, weed, harvest, and prepare produce with supervision and support
- Support processing and usage of compost as it pertains to building healthy soils community wide
- A high school diploma / some college.
- A minimum of one-year customer service and/or retail experience.
- Willingness to work outdoors, rain or shine, and in various temperatures.
- A positive attitude and patience. Sense of humor is a must.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to work well in small spaces.
- Ability to sit or stand for a long period of time.
- Ability to work weekends.
- Detail-oriented, proactive, with excellent follow-up skills and customer service mindset, both inside and outside the organization.
- Ability to take direction, work quickly, independently and with discretion.
- Strong facility with Google Drive and Google Analytics.
The qualified candidate for this position will bring a mix of energy, adaptability, judgment, communication and critical thinking skills and “roll up the sleeves attitude” towards their work. Additional qualifications include:
- An outgoing personality with the ability to communicate well in public settings
- Ability to critically look at your work reflectively and desire to continually improve
- Active learner, energetic, enthusiastic, and creative
- Communicative in a timely fashion through email, text, and in person
- Second-language proficiency preferred, especially Chinese or Spanish in addition to English
- Personable, a team player, and extremely organized
$15.00 per hour.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all.
Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.