Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Grants & Membership Manager is responsible for ensuring the smooth operation of a robust institutional giving program, and for expanding individual and corporate membership. This part-time position reports to the Vice President of Development & External Affairs as part of a five-person External Affairs team. Successful fulfillment of the role requires the ability to multitask and support fundraising efforts including grant writing and management, overseeing individual and corporate membership and producing member events. The position is anticipated at 25 hours per week on average; some remote work will be considered.
While the VP has overall responsibility for achieving fundraising goals, the Grants & Membership Manager is integral to the success of the fundraising program. The Development staff produce all operating and capital requests, ensure compliance with all awards, produce fundraising events, and design and implement an active membership and individual giving program. Internally, the Development & External Affairs team work closely with the CEO, Board Members, and departments including Arts, Education & Engagement, Farm, Finance & Administration, Horticulture, Operations and Capital Projects. This position entails direct engagement with government agencies, elected officials, foundation and corporate representatives, and individual donors and members. Collectively, the External Affairs team is responsible for both earned and contributed income totaling approximately 45% of Snug Harbor’s annual operating budget.
This position reports to the Vice President of Development & External Affairs. Responsibilities include:
- Prepare grant proposals and budgets, reports and actual financials for foundation, corporate and government support as assigned
- Prepare and process government contracts as assigned
- With VP, coordinate with program staff on grant compliance
- Conduct prospect research and evaluate incoming RFPs as assigned
- With External Affairs Assistant, manage Development calendar, track deadlines, maintain accurate record of grants pending, received, denied
- With External Affairs Assistant, ensure all institutional gifts are logged in PatronManager and all contact info is up to date
- Maintain registration and pre-qualification in Grants Gateway, grants.gov, PASSport and other funding portals as required
Membership & Events
- Design and implement robust individual membership recruitment and retention program
- Expand and implement corporate giving program
- Manage member pipeline and benefit fulfillment in Salesforce/PatronManager
- Oversee External Affairs Assistant in generating acknowledgments and member cards
- Produce and manage member events; assist with other events as assigned
- With VP, coordinate annual appeal
- Some evening and/or weekend work may be required for both indoor and outdoor settings
- A minimum of five years’ experience fundraising in arts and culture, parks, or other relevant organizations, including grant writing (sample required)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to multitask with attention to detail
- Experience with fundraising software (Salesforce, PatronManager desired)
- Adept at Microsoft Office suite
- Collaborative spirit and healthy sense of humor
Due to Executive Order 317 all employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19; proof of vaccination is required.
Salary is commensurate with experience with a range of $32.00 – 35.00 per hour. The position is part-time, anticipated at 25 hours per week on average.
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form and submit a cover letter with writing sample by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Candidates can also submit a writing sample and cover letter by emailing email@example.com with the subject title Grants & Membership Manager – Writing Sample. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.