As a growing and multi-faceted nonprofit organization, Snug Harbor is excited to recruit for a hands-on, energized, mission-driven Human Resources professional to join our team. The Human Resources & Payroll Manager (HRPM) will be responsible for the overall function of the Human Resources department for the organization, including: Human Resources Planning, Recruitment and Selection, Employee Relations, Disciplinary Policy and Procedure Administration, Training, Salary and Wage Administration, Compliance and Employee Benefits and Payroll processes. The HRPM will be the go-to for all employee-related issues. As people are our most important resource, the HRPM will ensure a productive, positive, equitable and compliant workplace where everyone works to advance our mission. Promoting institutional values and shaping a positive culture is a vital aspect of this role. With the recent completion of a Master Plan; Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Plan; and an ongoing Strategic Planning process, the HRPM will be able to develop and implement HR strategies and initiatives aligned with larger strategic priorities and business goals. Reporting to the Director of Finance & Administration and supported also by the Director of Education & Engagement, the HRPM has an opportunity to work with a great team and make a big impact.
- Support current and future business needs through the development, engagement, motivation and preservation of human capital. With support from hiring Managers, oversee all aspects of hiring, recruitment, onboarding and training new staff to meet OSHA, DOL, state and local standards.
- Develop and monitor ongoing HR processes and company policies and ensure consistent implementation of these policies
- Ensures legal compliance by monitoring and implementing applicable federal, state and local HR/payroll requirements, and maintaining records. Ensures that all personnel files are secure and documentation is compliant with company record retention policies and federal/state laws.
- Oversee and manage a performance appraisal system that drives high performance. Supports Managers in ongoing performance management
- Manages all aspects of Payroll administration in ADP Workforce Now including QuickBooks entries with support from the Accounting Assistant
- Investigates and resolves complex payroll issues according to FLSA, State Wage and Labor Code, INS and IRS regulations, and company policies and procedures.
- Administers and oversees employee benefit programs including health benefit administration, vacation/sick time tracking, and holiday schedule with support from the Accounting Assistant
- Takes a leadership role in any audits from the State Department of Labor, Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance Providers
- Manages employment quarterly and annual reporting to local, state, and federal agencies with support from the Accounting Assistant
- Supports the Director of Education & Engagement in management of Workforce Development opportunities
- Responsible for periodically reviewing and updating the employee handbook
- Support Management Team with Collective Bargaining Agreement negotiation and ongoing Union employee management
- Stay informed on all current topics affecting Human Resources, particularly changing laws that affect the Human Resource department
- Provides a leading voice on the DEI Committee and is responsible for tracking and reporting progress against established goals
- Participates on the Volunteer Committee, providing input on the new Staff Volunteer Management Handbook.
- Work in coordination with employment attorney as necessary
- Performs other duties as required
- Degree, Certification and/or major course work in human resources management, public administration, business administration or related field; and 2+ years’ experience in human resources and benefits management; or equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the following:
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of human resources management
- Knowledge of State, Federal and NYC legal requirements related to human resources, including EEO, ADA, Workers’ Compensation, Wage and Hour, COBRA, FMLA, and NYS Paid Family Leave
- Knowledge of job classification systems, organizational design and development
- Skills with computer programs including financial processing systems, payroll and document creation and management. ADP experience a plus
- Ability to establish and maintain filing and records systems
- Ability to compose clear and correct written correspondence and reports; ability to effectively present information verbally and respond to questions all levels of staff, Board, government officials, Union representatives and the general public
- High proficiency in Microsoft; Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to multi task and work in a fast-paced environment with limited guidance.
- Desire and commitment to maintaining a high level of cooperation, communication and rapport with all employees
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion work and supporting Snug Harbor’s role as an antiracist organization and cultural anchor of the borough.
- Nonprofit experience
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
- Interest in history, arts and/or the environment is a plus
- Positive attitude and a sense of humor
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.