Full Time | Staten Island, New York
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
The Accounting Associate (AA) is a full time, year-round position and an integral part of the Snug Harbor Administrative team. Reporting to the Sr. Director of Finance & Administration, the AA acts as the primary bookkeeper and is responsible for vendor payment, revenue and banking functions for the organization, and is a support to the Human Resources Coordinator in insurance administration, payroll processing, and management. In addition, the AA assists in the annual audit and reporting to several City agencies including the Department of Cultural Affairs. The AA attends to administrative, clerical and business details with precision and conducts special projects when necessary. The AA has an adaptive, dynamic mindset, and excellent attention to detail. This is a great opportunity for a curious mind looking to work within a fun team in a mission-driven organization.
- With support from the Sr. Director of Finance, manages and coordinates with staff on the process and submission of purchase orders, invoices and vendor payments
- Assists with procurement and management of vendors, suppliers or other consultants as needed
- Processes daily and weekly revenue receipts, oversees petty cash, performs cash management and bank reconciliations
- Assists in preparing annual organizational budget and project budgets, including grant expense tracking
- Supports the Human Resources Coordinator in payroll, vacation tracking and benefit functions when necessary, including management of ADP and QuickBooks entries
- Filing duties related to financial documents, check back-ups, time cards
- Assists in generating financial reports
- Assists in the insurance procurement, monitoring, and insurance audit functions
- Performs other duties as directed by supervisor
- Supports in employment quarterly and annual reporting to local, state, and federal agencies
- Supports on audits from the State Department of Labor, Workers Compensation and Disability Insurance Providers
- Supports in grant/project based financial reporting
- Supports in annual audit
- Earned or working towards Associate or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or related field; or equivalent demonstrated experience; or a fast learner looking to apply transferable skills
- Excellent computer skills including, Excel, Word, and Outlook
- Familiarity with QuickBooks, and ADP or comparable third-party payroll service is preferred
- Familiarity with basic Accounting principles
- Strong interpersonal, communication (oral and written), organizational, and problem-solving skills
- Excellent time management with the ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and take initiative
- High level of internal accountability and personal responsibility
- Detail oriented
- Ability to maintain composure, flexibility, discretion, and sound professional judgment
- Ability to work some special events as needed
- Interest in arts, culture, horticulture, history and/or agriculture a plus
Due to Executive Order 317 all employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19, proof of vaccination is required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS:
$40,000 – 45,000; Competitive benefits including a generous vacation/holiday schedule and participation in the Cultural Institutions Retirement System pension.
Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accounting Associate – [Your Name].”
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all. Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer.