Part Time | Staten Island, NY
Who We Are
Snug Harbor Cultural Center & Botanical Garden (“Snug Harbor”) offers dynamic programming in the arts, horticulture, agriculture, education and recreation for diverse cultures and all ages, on a historic, welcoming campus that is a unique oasis in New York City. We envision being a nationally visible yet locally impactful cultural organization beloved by all who visit. We value artistic vibrancy, stewardship, conservation, inclusion, community, communication and discovery. Located less than 1.5 miles from the Staten Island Ferry and easily accessible by public transportation, Snug Harbor welcomes nearly 500,000 visitors each year to explore our gardens, grounds and galleries. Our 83-acre campus features 26 architecturally significant buildings and 14 distinctive gardens, including a traditional Chinese garden and a Tuscan garden. A vibrant cultural hub, Snug Harbor is also home to several non-profit institutions, artists’ studios and small businesses. Founded in the 19th century as a charitable rest home for sailors, today Snug Harbor is a growing, must-see destination.
SHCC seeks applicants for the position of Safety & Security Associate in the Security Department. Reporting to the Security & Safety Manager, the primary responsibility will be to lead the security program and the team in keeping SHCC safe and accessible for staff, constituents, tenants and visitors. The Safety & Security Associate will ensure that all daily security operations run smoothly and effectively. In addition to staff supervision, the Safety & Security Associate also carries out patrol and other security duties. This position is Part Time for 32 hours per week and will require weekend work.
Assist the Safety and Security Manager with Ranger team oversight
- Assist the Security & Safety Manger with supervision and coordination of Ranger coverage for all shifts and in facilitating the daily work schedule.
- Assist in creating daily and weekly time schedules for appropriate coverage for a 24/7 operation that encompasses public hours, overnight and additional coverage for special events and programs.
- Assist the Safety and Security Manager with Payroll tasks as directed.
- Exchange concise, effective information with fellow Rangers before and after each shift
- Orient and train new Rangers on security operations, risks and procedures, and emergency preparedness
- Report writing: Silvertrac checkpoint logs, patrol logbook, incident reports, accident reports, work requests, and lost & found reports, camera monitoring.
- Share updates with Ranger staff related to site wide activities, as directed by Safety and Security Manager
Lead by example through demonstrating high quality Ranger job performance to colleagues
- Proactively collaborate with Snug Harbor colleagues and problem solve as needed.
- Interact professionally and courteously with fellow Rangers, SHCC staff, tenants, constituents and visitors.
- Direct and coordinate vehicular traffic circulation and parking as required
- Provide campus patrols, both by foot and mobile (golf cart when weather permits) to ensure continuous visual/physical inspections of the campus
- Maintain vigilance regarding suspicious conditions and persons, open doors and windows, and other safety issues
- Ensure access to buildings is provided by Rangers as required
- Maintain and activate alarm systems (fire and intrusion) as necessary
- Maintain vigilance regarding fire prevention, detection and suppression
- Control and coordinate evacuation procedures (emergency situations) and act as evacuation leader when necessary
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of site and maintain awareness of events
Ensure a positive experience for campus visitors and constituents in line with Snug Harbor service standards
- Identify situations and locations that would constitute visitor service impacts or safety hazards (lighting, pedestrian walkways, mechanical failures affecting asset integrity, etc.).
- Make proper notifications to other Snug Harbor departments to initiate solutions and repairs.
- Implement temporary safety precautions or communication actions needed until the situation has been corrected.
- Respond to calls for service and notify the proper authorities (police, fire and/or emergency medical service)
- Respond to and/or assist constituents with emergencies
- Provide necessary assistance to ADA and disabled visitors and employees
- High school diploma/GED
- Work experience: 3+ years experience in Security
- Must maintain or obtain within 30 days of hire: 8 Hour Security License
- Must maintain/secure the following FDNY Certifications:
- F03 – Indoor Place of Assembly and F07 Fire and Emergency Drill Conductor
- First Aid/CPR Certification
- Valid NYS Driver’s License with clean driving record
- Computer Literate (Microsoft Office)
- Excellent communication skills
- Clean background check
- 32-hour weekly schedule
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary is $18.00 per hour
Qualified candidates should complete the employee application form by visiting https://snug-harbor.org/jobapplication/. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Snug Harbor celebrates and commits to fostering diversity, equity and inclusion. We value and seek the strengths of human variety across communities, in programming, with staff, the Board of Directors, volunteers, artists and visitors. Snug Harbor strives to build a culture of diversity of voice and representation, authentically inclusive spaces and equity for all.
Snug Harbor is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to the treatment of all employees and applicants for employment without unlawful discrimination as to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or citizenship status in all employment decisions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, compensation, training and apprenticeship, promotion, upgrading, demotion, downgrading, transfer, lay-off and termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.